Sunday, December 14, 2008

Scared of Santa!

The other night my dinner was disrupted by the loud sounds of an diesel engine blasting an air horn combined with a siren and flashing lights. They seemed to be stopped directly in front of my house. I looked outside the window to see a giant fire engine with an oddly shaped man screaming something unintelligable into a bull horn. So I (as other neighbors) wandered outside to see what drama was going down, only to find that it was a fireman, dressed as Santa "Ho, Ho, Ho-ing" to the kids on the block. But because it was so dark it was hard to make out that this was indeed Mr Claus making a holiday visit, instead the kids next door were traumatized. Ole' Saint Nick was muttering something distorted into the bull horn while chucking peppermint candies at them, so they all ran screaming back into the house. Part of the problem was the guy driving the fire engine was a bit too siren/horn happy and blasted everyone backwards.

I don't know why, but I laughed. I am not one to terrorize children, but the immense failure to do something good gone wrong tickles my funny bone... it also reminded me of one of my favorite holiday websites.

Scared of Santa is one that makes me laugh everytime.

No comments: